Steelville, MO - Stolen Car Suspect On LSD - Jumps On Patrol Car Windshield - Punches Officer - Jumps In Patrol Car - Dragged The Officer - Tased Multiple Times - OC Spray

June 22, 2015

A Kansas City-area man is accused of assaulting a police officer, attempting to steal his vehicle and driving off with that vehicle while the officer hung on to the car, all after he allegedly stole a vehicle.

Octaveon McKnight, 19, Raytown, is charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree tampering with a motor vehicle, felony resisting arrest, first-degree property damage and leaving the scene of an accident.

According to the probable cause statement, on June 13, a Steelville police officer was dispatched for the theft of a vehicle around 11:57 p.m. that was headed to Cuba. The vehicle was traveling on North First Street and the suspect was said to possibly be under the influence of LSD.

While en route, the officer observed the vehicle. The officer drove his car to face the front of the stolen vehicle. As the officer began to exit, he noticed a male subject running towards him. The suspect jumped over the hood of the police car and collided with the front windshield.

The officer’s vision became obstructed due to the busted windshield. As the officer rushed to exit his patrol car, McKnight allegedly punched him below the eye, momentarily dazing the officer.

McKnight then entered the patrol car and shut the door. The officer continued to try and reopen the door while commanding McKnight to stop.

The officer drew his taser and and deployed it, unsure if it made contact with the suspect.

As the officer was hanging on to the car, McKnight began to drive across Main Street towards Steelville Drug Store. He dragged the officer, who was still hanging on to the car.

The officer then fired a second taser, which stopped the vehicle. McKnight began screaming and flailing while inside the car.

While McKnight was being tased, he fell out of the car and onto the ground. The officer continued to keep the taser activated while he created distance between himself and McKnight. While the taser was being deployed, McKnight got to his feet and began to run across Main Street towards L&J Liquor Store. The officer then began to chase McKnight on foot.

At that time, two other officers arrived on scene and bladed their patrol cars to cut McKnight off on Main Street. McKnight collided with the front driver’s side bumper of the patrol car.

Two officers attempted to restrain McKnight, but he was combative and refused to listen to commands.

At 12:11 a.m., one officer stunned McKnight with a taser. Eventually, officers were able to cuff him, but once in cuffs, he continued to be uncooperative and combative.

McKnight was placed in leg shackles and placed in the patrol car.

While officers were discussing the events that had taken place, McKnight began hitting the window of the patrol car multiple times. The officer then deployed OC spray to his face.

Police went to Mobil to make contact with a party who said he was in the store when McKnight entered his van and attempted to drive off. The victim said he removed McKnight from the vehicle and an altercation started until he broke free and began running.

McKnight was taken to the hospital and later released to the Crawford County Jail.